Andersonville National Cemetery was established to provide a permanent place of honor for those who died in military service to our country. The initial interments, beginning in February 1864, were trench burials of the prisoners who died in the nearby military prison. In fourteen months, nearly 13,000 soldiers were buried here. Today the cemetery contains nearly 20,000 interments. This collection contains over one hundred photographs of various sites, memorials, and headstones in the cemetery.